Christ Church, Clifden
Christ Church, as we know it today, replaced an earlier church on the same site dating from 1810. That early church ceased to exist in the middle of the 19th century and was replaced by a new church built in two stages from 1853 to 1864.
The new church was designed by the County Cork born architect Joseph Welland, who had worked with John Bowden in the Board of First Fruits on such projects as Saint Philip and Saint James’ Church in Booterstown and Saint Stephen’s Church in Mount Street, Dublin (The Pepper Canister) before later working with the Ecclesiastical Commissioners.
The church was designed in 1850 and the nave and chancel were constructed in 1853, with the attached bell tower on the southeast corner added in 1864.
The relatively new church was damaged by storm on 21st November 1881. Once the building was repaired, it remained relatively unchanged until Hurricane Debbie hit Clifden on 16th September 1961 causing widespread damage and destruction. Christ Church fell victim to the 183km/hr storm with the west gable and part of the nave destroyed. The original building was seven-bay and the storm irreparably damaged three of the bays.
Because of a reduced Church of Ireland population in Clifden, it was decided in the immediate aftermath of the 1961 destruction not to reconstruct the damaged part of the building. Instead a new concrete block gable wall was constructed on the west side thus reducing the length of the nave to four bays. A new baptistery and entrance porch were added as attachments to the new west gable, also with some of the windows from the former nave and a door casing from the original entrance lobby.
Services 11.30 Sunday Holy Communion
Church is open daily.